Saturday, October 5, 2013

Tasting- ROUGE's Chocolate Stout with Beer on Mars

There was Rogue's Chocolate Stout all over my face while I filmed an informative 6 minute bit for you guys about Beer on Mars.

I love outer space. Geek of many things as I am (huge Carl Sagan fan!) and if I wasn't so addicted to beer culture on Earth then I would sign up for the Mars One Project and place myself as the first brewer on Mars! Have no idea what beer has to do with intergalactic travel?

Check out Beer on Mars, where I explain the million ways that beer goes to infinity and beyond.

And it's not just Nitch!

Moon dust meets beer with Dogfish Head's latest small batch release Celest-jewel-ale (5% ABV and 25 IBUs), exclusively served at Dogfish Head’s Rehoboth Beach brewpub.

"Celest-jewel-ale is made with lunar meteorites that have been crushed into dust, then steeped like tea in a rich, malty Oktoberfest. These certified moon jewels are made up primarily of minerals and salts, helping the yeast-induced fermentation process and lending this traditional German style a subtle but complex earthiness. (Or is it mooniness?)"

Since I couldn't get my hands on any moon dust beer, I went with something the resembles a black hole. It sucked me in and I sucked it up!

ROGUE Chocolate Stout 6%ABV 60IBUsDSC_0003


A: Stout dark- black, black, black with a thick huge head

S: Chocolate, duh. Bitter sweet chocolate and other chocolatey smells. Maybe a coffee note? Could just be the brain playing tricks after seeing that coffee black body.

T: Brings a smile to your face. Taste is in line with the smell. Roasted chocolate malt leaves a slight coffee note and a surprising alcohol pitch on such a low ABV beer. The bittering hops are apparent as well in the bitting finish.

M: Not as creamy or as thick as you would expect with the appearance, but smooth.

O: Out of this world! Or at least, out of France. Rogue nails this stout head on stout with all the elements posted on the bottle. Big chocolate notes and a bakers chocolate bitter finish posted to a medium body stout. I love the bomber size bottles (share, share, share or be selfish like me and don't) and, of course, am simply smitten to be seeing native Oregon beers making their way over to France.

Thank you to logo for getting this line (and others) all the way over the sea and into my mouth.




Everyone and their martian mother has had this stand alone stout, so check out some of my fellow beer reviewers if you'd like some audio words on what Rogue's Chocolate Stout is all about:

VideoBeerReviews Gregsbeerreviews ChadzBeerReviews The Master of Hoppets Joe D. Albino Rhino Ryan Reschan

Ever had Rogue's Chocolate stout? I bet you didn't have it while contemplating space travel!


If you are applying for the Mars One Project or know of any other spacey beers, I would love to hear from you! Leave me a comment, here, here, here or here. Or feel free to email me a Nitch@TastingNitch.com


XOXO



DON'T LET HEINEKEN BE THE FIRST BEER ON MARS!!


nicholerichardson_2

3 comments:

  1. Thanks for your marvelous posting! I certainly enjoyed reading
    it, you can be a great author. I will always bookmark your blog and will come back
    at some point. I want to encourage yourself to continue your great posts, have
    a nice evening!

    My page: Garage Flooring - Kelli -

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yeah, yeah Kelli of the buzznet, anytime I can be of blogging assistance, yah know, I'm there. Thanks for reading.

    XOXO

    ReplyDelete
  3. […] my friends and followers know, I’m obsessed with the idea of getting craft beer on to the planets before the big companies take over  : Beer on Mars. And […]

    ReplyDelete